What’s the difference between Registered Kinesiologists and Certified Personal Trainers?

Kinesiologists are licensed and Registered Health Care Practitioners that typically have a Bachelor of Science (BSc) with specialization in Kinesiology and pass relevant tests and exams required by the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario. Once they fulfill these requirements, they must continuously abide by the College’s standards and regulations.

Personal Trainers are not required to have a BSc or a health care degree. Certified Personal Trainers usually choose one of a few private certifiers, complete the relevant courses, and get their certification by successfully writing an exercise prescription exam.

As a kinesiologist, I have a Bachelor of Science from the University of Ottawa – specifically in the studies of human movement, performance and function – and I apply the sciences of biomechanics, anatomy, nutrition, physiology, psychology and neuroscience in my daily practice. I use my wealth of knowledge and clinical/field experience to employ a holistic approach to properly assess and enhance human health, movement and performance. I find that learning evidence-based techniques from different health care disciplines has better equipped me to help my patients ameliorate their health and performance. Whether you come and see me for weight management or high performance strength and conditioning, I am here to help you feel, move, and perform better than ever!